This document is the primary developer specification and technical reference to the RapidHA Serial Protocol Version 1.7, a serial interface for exercising the RapidHA application framework. By building on existing ZigBee stack application frameworks, the RapidHA firmware has been designed to facilitate easy development of Home Automation (HA) applications.
Whether you have an existing product or are designing a new one, the HA 1.2-certified RapidHA application framework significantly reduces development effort and time to market for your device. In typical integration scenarios, the RapidHA serial protocol command interface may be leveraged by a connected Host application to exercise the RapidHA firmware to perform complex ZigBee tasks.
What's new in RapidHA - v1.7
RapidHA 1.7 includes an expansion of the serial interface to application sleepy functionality. New sleep control frames under the Utility command group (PH: 0x55) provide the user with a wake-up handshaking scheme, as well as total and accurate control of application sleep cycles.
Please see this tutorial for instructions on exercising the RapidHA serial interface for the new sleep control frames.
RapidHA is a ZigBee HA 1.2 application developed by MMB Research, Inc. for our SiLabs EM357-based ZigBee platforms with support for external flash. The application may be exercised in the following ways:
- By an integrating Host application via the RapidHA serial protocol
- By using MMB's host-side Java Serial Libraries to aid in development on platforms that support it
The RapidHA application may be configured to serve as a ZigBee coordinator, router, or end device (non- sleepy, with sleepy functionality slated for later releases).
RapidHA offers additional ZigBee profile support beyond HA 1.2, including Control4 and Daintree ControlScope systems. The application supports specification-standardized cluster, attribute, command, and endpoint functionality. The Host may further define custom cluster, attribute, command, and endpoint support.
In short, RapidHA offers total flexibility for the integrating Host to define the desired device types, profiles and other supported ZigBee features and functionality. As of this writing, v1.2.0 is the fourth official release.
Definition of Terms and Acronyms
- Host – Refers to the host device (i.e. the MCU or native intelligence of an integrating device), or the RapidHA Desktop application/Host simulation engine
- Module – Refers to the module/radio package running the RapidHA application
- ZCL – The ZigBee Cluster Library
- HA – The Home Automation profile, specifically HA 1.2
- CS – Checksum, 16 bits
- LSB –Least significant byte of a value greater or equal to 2 bytes in length
- MSB –Most significant byte of a value greater or equal to 2 bytes in length
For readers interested in specifications adhered to by RapidHA, please see the following:
- ZigBee Home Automation Profile Specification for HA 1.2 (11-5474-49)
- ZigBee Cluster Library Specification
The latest published profiles and specifications can be downloaded from the ZigBee Alliance website.